Sunday, 17 January 2010

Banana Reads

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.
Bought this book ages ago but never got around to actually reading it. Managed to start it towards the end of last year and even brought with me when I went home although I didn't read a page....cause I was ill and all....anywhoo since coming back however, I have hit that point, as it always happens with books, where I just can't put it down and in spite of the dark subject matter it is a well written book and quite a fascinating read. Darkly comic too which I like even though as I said, the subject matter is most definitely bleak, it's the clever format - letters written by the mum to her ex husband and Kevin's father in which she talks about everything - that allow for a sardonic and non compromising look at how sometimes the expectations of the perfect family unit are so cruelly shattered... yet with the passing of time can be objectively observed...which I think makes it for an even sadder outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment