Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Patrick Nagel







Found out about this artist today. Sadly he died a long time ago at only 38 years of age but not before leaving his mark on the art world. He has remained most famous for his Playboy illustrations and designing the album cover for a certain number one album - Rio -  by a little known band, probably never heard of them...erm Duran Duran something or other...anywhoo I really like the bold, dark but simple lines he uses in order to create stunning female portraits - I particularly love the strong jaw lines, the hair and make up in these pictures -  and turns out he and I share a technique of sorts. He worked mainly from photographs starting out with simple drawings which he would later then translate on to a canvas or board etc. I  tend to bring mine into Illustrator and trace them, therefore mostly cheat but you know...anyway it would've been interesting to see his art today I guess but his stuff remains pretty amazing and a reference point for many young artists today no doubt.

More of his work can be found here:
http://www.patricknagel.com/taf/image_search.taf

1 comment:

  1. Thanx for posting this!I've seen his illustrations but I didnt know his name.

    ReplyDelete